Programme Specialist, Agent Networks - Lagos
The Programme Specialist, Agent Networks will design, develop and execute the organization’s strategy to establish ubiquitous agent networks to widen access to financial services in Nigeria.
The Programme Specialist, Agent Networks will use the breadth of the organization’s pillars - research, advocacy, capacity building and funding - to drive large-scale formal inclusion and ensure that customers have easy access to convenient and trustworthy agents via whom they can conduct a range of financial transactions. He/she will convene and mediate between financial institutions, agent aggregators, regulators, other development partners and customers to ensure a balanced approach to building trusted, robust and pervasive agent networks.
Through these activities, the Programme Specialist, Agent Networks will support the organization’s executive team in creating and implementing the services, structures, and systems required to achieve the organization’s strategic objectives.
The role demands a highly numerate individual who has the capability to evaluate and synthesise large amounts of information. He/she must be a strategic thinker who is able to execute the organization’s agent networks strategy.
The Programme Specialist, Agent Networks must possess deep technical understanding of agent network operations in Nigeria (including consumer behavior, product development, and value chains); the ability to apply global best practices to develop and take agent networks to scale; and a proven track record of identifying, implementing and driving innovation, with minimal supervision. Using these skills and experience, he/she will identify additional research required to inform key stakeholders and for successfully delivering the organization’s agent networks strategy.
The Programme Specialist, Agent Networks should have strong organisational and project management skills to proactively identify, develop, budget, monitor and drive the organization’s agent networks strategy. In addition, he/she should have excellent interpersonal and influencing skills, and possess the gravitas, credibility and track record for building and maintaining relationships with key external stakeholders. By identifying and forging strategic alliances, he/she will promote and secure commitment to developing pervasive agent networks in Nigeria and further the organization’s financial inclusion agenda.
He/she will also support the organization’s research, advocacy, capacity building and funding objectives by disseminating pertinent information, convening meetings, presenting at conferences, and interacting with key counterparts.
Highly adaptable, creative, and accustomed to delivering results in a dynamic and fluid working environment, the Programme Specialist, Agent Networks will make decisive and tangible contributions to the organization as soon as he/she joins the organisation.
Supports the Policy & Programme Manager to build and manage external relationships with private sector actors including financial services providers, agent aggregators, payment services providers, technology providers, industry associations; as well as public sector actors.
The role will include, but not be limited to, the following responsibilities and accountabilities:
Document and Deepen Knowledge of the Landscape of Agent Networks in Nigeria:
• Document and maintain an overview of the current landscape of agent networks in Nigeria in terms of key stakeholders, industry associations, policies, regulatory frameworks, impediments to growth and barriers to access for the low-income population
• Monitor, review and evaluate current policies and regulations in Nigeria that support and promote agent networks.
• Identify gaps and advocate for any required changes to ensure that agent banking regulations foster greater financial inclusion
• Identify gaps and key opportunities in the agent networks sector that will drive strategic objectives
• Provide analysis of the main developments related to agent networks in other relevant jurisdictions (particularly countries with similar profiles to Nigeria)
• Identify key areas in which additional research or information is required and commission the necessary research in conjunction with the Research Manager
• Disseminate research findings to key external stakeholders and ensure that they are used to inform policy reforms, encourage the development of convenient and trustworthy agent networks, and/or stimulate innovation, in line with the organization’s strategic objectives
• Contribute to the development of financial inclusion and the organization’s position as a thought leader by writing and publishing papers on key developments related to agent networks
Develop and Implement the organization’s Agent Networks Strategy:
• Develop an agent networks strategy describing how the organization can lead the implementation of pervasive agent networks in Nigeria, to be approved by the Policy & ProgrammeManager
• Manage external consultants and technical partners, as directed by the Policy & Programme Manager
• Understand, identify, explore and advocate for policy reforms, innovative approaches and agent business models that accelerate the growth and development of agent networks
• Produce succinct focus/strategy notes based on research findings and interaction with stakeholders, which clearly identify opportunities for growing agent networks and advancing the organization’s financial inclusion agenda
• Provide support to the Innovation Fund Manager to identify and develop a pipeline of agent network related projects for the Innovation Fund; evaluate relevant grant applications, and make funding recommendations
• Work with the Policy & Programme Manager and Programme Specialists responsible for Payments and Inclusive Products to effectively embed agent networks in their respective strategies
• Identify areas for capacity building for key stakeholders in both the private and public sectors to deepen their knowledge in agent networks and financial inclusion iii.
• Identify key stakeholders that have a role in driving the implementation of agent networks in Nigeria.
• Forge, maintain and deepen partnerships with these stakeholders In conjunction with the Policy & Programme Manager, develop and execute an effective marketing strategy for key stakeholders that increases awareness of the issues limiting the growth of agent networks and highlights the organization’s recommendations for addressing these issues
• Organise stakeholder events to discuss and debate pertinent issues that will support and drive the deployment of agent networks in Nigeria If necessary, design and constitute a working group or similar body, including regulators and operators, in order to promote the deployment of widespread agent networks in Nigeria
• Develop and effectively manage agent networks related projects to ensure timely completion of programme deliverables
• Take responsibility for own continuous professional development by proactively identifying and participating in formal/informal learning opportunities
• Develop a learning culture by sharing best practices and successes from agent networks related activities with different parts of the organisation
• Lead, coach, and mentor staff directly reporting to this position• Perform any other duties as required by the Policy & Programme Manager or the CEO
Competency / Skill Requirements Skills:
• Strategic thinker who keeps abreast of international trends in agent networks
• Works independently and as part of a team
• Highly numerate, with strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Proven ability to produce concise, well-structured and very high-quality reports and presentations
• Ability to synthesise and interpret large amounts of information and data
• Very high level of attention to detail and accuracy
• Very strong verbal and written communication skills
• Very strong presentation skills
• Strong public speaking skills
• Effective influencing and relationship building skills, including at senior levels
• Strong advocacy skills
• Advanced-level competency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Fluency in other languages desirable
• Commitment to the financial inclusion agenda
• Gravitas, credibility and ability to initiate and develop strategic partnerships and alliances
• Highly organised and efficient; able to multi-task effectively and prioritise work based on minimal direction and multiple competing priorities
• Works well under pressure and able to meet deadlines
• Can-do approach
• Committed to delivering high-quality results, with cost-effective use of resources
• Driven and a self-starter
• Proactive with high levels of initiative
• Resourceful with an enterprising attitude that is quick to search out alternative solutions to needs or problems
• Positive, flexible, supportive attitude to work
• Exhibits a helpful behaviour beyond strict job requirements
• Discreet and respects confidentiality
• Integrity and high personal ethical standards
Qualification / Experience:
• Master’s degree in Economics, International Development, Finance, Business Administration or other related disciplines
• At least eight years’ experience in development or financial services (preferably inNigeria), with either a minimum of three years in inclusive finance, agent banking, and/or working on developing agent networks for low-income communities, or the capability to quickly understand agent network models
• Strong relationship management experience with the ability to engage with a diverse range of stakeholders
• Experience working in a complex or pioneering environment and managing or facilitating change
• Project management experience with relevant certification
• Supervision and leadership experience
• Experience in evaluating proposals
• Experience in/or exposure to policy development
• Financial modeling experience
Employment with the organization offers an exceptional and challenging opportunity for the right candidate. You will be offered an attractive compensation and benefits package.